Saturday, August 2, 2008

I GOT THE JOB!!

We recently decided, due to many different reasons, that I need to return to work for a year or two. I dreaded the thought of leaving Annagrace, missing all of the daily cuteness. I applied at several places and called anyone I knew that could pull any strings for me. After a couple of weeks, I got a job offer from Blue Cross for a customer service rep position. It pays decently with great benefits, but the hours are 8-5 Monday-Friday.
So, while day-dreaming the ideal job/situation, I realized I should look for a 12 hour night shift job. So my train of thought took me through any companies that are open at night, this list included hospitals. I started making lists, in my head, as I was driving, of the websites I needed to visit when I got home. Then it hit me ... I am friends with an Orthopedic Surgeon who just BOUGHT a hospital with a few of his clinic partners. I immediately called his wife and we all started on the pursuit of getting me a job. It took several WEEKS for my application to make it into the right hands. But, they called me in for an interview on Wednesday. It wasn't a normal interview - she was asking me what I wanted to do so that she could find the right job for me. She sent me on a second interview with another HR rep the next morning. This interview, again, wasn't what I was expecting. There weren't any past experience questions, no "what is your best asset?" questions. She took me on a tour of the entire hospital, telling me what a wonderful facility it is. Immediately after the tour she took me up to the 4th floor of the hospital to interview with the RN Supervisor who was hiring for the position that I really wanted. AND AGAIN - no normal interview questions. Honestly I don't think I said more than 10 words to her. But, after she quickly glanced over my application, she said without experience she couldn't offer me a job b/c she is too short staffed to train me. She said there was a possibility that a secretary position might be opening up soon. But, there was nothing definite yet. I was getting a little discouraged. But, right as we were both about to stand up and say our goodbyes. She said "wait, you are willing to work nights ... why didn't I think of that earlier. There is a position open, I need to call someone and I'll call you back this afternoon or tomorrow morning." My spirits lifted again and I eagerly awaited her phone call. When I hadn't heard anything by 4:45 Friday afternoon, I called them. I didn't want to wait the entire weekend to find out. I talked to the HR lady and she offered me the job!!! I was so excited I cried, I screamed at the top of my lungs, I was even shaking! (I waited until we hung up of course.) I will be the floor secretary, on 12 hour night shifts - 3 days a week!! It is so perfect, it even pays the same amount as BCBS! (Tyler and I had already discussed the lowest amount we were willing to take to have the ideal hours) I will still be able to be with Annagrace almost every day. And now she will be able to have her Daddy at home at night!
This whole job hunting experience has been a huge testimony builder for me in the power of prayer. I jokingly told Laurie, the night before I got the job offer, that I have prayed so much and often for this job, that I have rug burns on my knees. But, seriously I could see Heavenly Father's hand in every step of the way. Through all of my recent interviews, I got the impression that they had already planned on hiring me, they were just trying to find the right position for me. In my last interview, she miraculously remembered an open, unlisted, position. A position that is SO much better suited for me than the original one that I applied for. And the fact that it pays way more than I ever imagined it would is just icing on the cake! I have gone through a roller coaster of emotions lately, but couldn't be happier with the end result.
As a side note, I have to say ... I've never had TWO job offers at the same time - it's kinda nice to know that people want you!!

6 comments:

The Powells said...

Hurray for everything working out!!! I'm so excited for you. I'm glad that it works so that you're able to be home with Annagrace. This is the important thing. Good luck! Going back to work at this point would kill me!

Jackie said...

So wait, what is the job? What will you be doing exactly? How exciting to have it all work out! Good luck!

Jennifer Ricker said...

congratulations! I am really glad for you...and it's true, that everything that's meant to be just kind of falls in to place, just sometimes not at the time you want/are expecting it to. Best of luck with the new job!!

Erin Bigler said...

Congrats!!! Sounds like everything worked out just the way it was supposed to.

Unknown said...

yay, congratulations, i'm so proud of you!

Ricci said...

well!!
good job!!
good luck!!!