Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve

Well, I started the day attempting to make marshmallow covered yams. My Mom always makes sweet potato casserole but never just yams, even though my Dad requests them every year. The yams turned out great, so I covered them with marshmallows and put them in the oven. The marshmallows weren't browning so I turned the oven to broil and stepped away for two minutes. I could smell marshmallows and ran back to the oven to find them ON FIRE!! After Tyler put the flames out, we just laughed. Right before we headed out to Mom's I decided to try to salvage the yams. The only thing that burnt were the marshmallows so I pulled off the charred black lumps to find perfectly white goo on top of yams. I tasted them and they were delicious - so they made it to the dinner buffet.
We had a family lunch at 2:00 and then reset the dinning room table with finger foods for the Open House to begin at 3:00. I really wish I would have taken a picture of the table - it was beautiful. All kinds of sweets, and dips, and goodies covering the whole table. Almost all of the serving dishes were mine that I packed up and hauled out to their house. I have an obsession for serving pieces and party ware but rarely get to use them at my own house.
After everyone left, we opened our presents from Mom and Dad and Carol. Annagrace had to be woken up for the event which put her in a rather grouchy mood - not ideal for a first time fun paper ripping party.

No comments: