Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Working on Emmalee's Room

It all started with this crib bumper. I walked into a children resale shop and spotted it across the room. Up until that point, I hadn't found anything that I even remotely liked. But, I knew I had to have it. They didn't have any of the coordinating bedding, just the bumper. It was only $8 and they were having a 25% off sale. So, I snagged it for $6! I was so excited!!
The tags had been cut off, so the chances of trying to find the rest of the set online seemed slim-to-none. But, I took a shot and Googled "patchwork crib bumper." The Land of Nod was the first match and I thought, "oh that would be nice if it came from there." I clicked, scrolled, and almost fell out of my chair. My "perfect" crib bumper, that I scored for $6, was a Land of Nod $80 bumper! And they were still selling all of the matching pieces. Unfortunately, the matching pieces were also expensive but they offer complimentary fabric swatches. I requested them and had my mom do the same. We ended up with 30 -3 in fabric squares of ALL of the fabrics in the patch work.
So, this brought me to tonight:
I started my first quilt! Well, I'm not actually going to quilt it, it's going to be the front of a duvet.
My Mom was going to make it all for me, but I got too antsy today and had to go borrow Angie's sewing machine and start it myself.
Last night we bought coordinating fabric to border the squares on the front and a deliciously cozy bump fabric for the back. They also have fabric that I'm going back for to make the curtains. But, I'm doing one thing at a time.
I took advantage of having the sewing machine here and tried one of these as well.
Just cut out from an old t-shirt, sewn together, and added a cute bow. Depending on the amount of hair on her head, I can see a lot of these in our future.

3 comments:

Tabitha said...

LOVE< LOVE< LOVE it!! I wanted that for Macey but too pricey. So stinkin cute. Put it all up when done I cant wait to see your masterpiece

Erin Bigler said...

You might be able to find the matching stuff in good shape on e-bay. I bought a full set of LON bedding for Frankie for $50-bumper, skirt, 2 sheets, and a curtain valance. Their stuff is darling too--I'll bet Emmalee's room will look great.

Sharon said...

Hello! I hit the "next blog" button on my Blogger Nav bar and found out that we are neighbors! Hello there!

Congrats on the impending arrival of your daughter. And WELL DONE! on the great deal for the nursery bedding. You go girl!