Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Welcome Home

I had the incredible honor of attending a very special homecoming on Friday. My friend Erin hired me to photograph every minute of her husband Nate's return from a year in Kuwait. It was so exciting and emotional - I loved it. We all waited in a huge room/auditorium with big screens everywhere. They had a live feed of the runway as the plane, carrying the precious cargo, landed. The sight made the room erupt with cheers and tears. The soldiers filed off the plane one-by-one and we saw every minute of it on the live feed. But, when they entered the building, it was not to see their families, they had to go through two hours of equipment returns and meetings. They did display a chart for us, letting us know how far along they were in their meetings.

When the soldiers marched into the room, everyone was on their feet, screaming, crying, and jumping for joy.


Then finally the moment we had all been waiting for:

Erin, thank you again for inviting me to be there with you. I hope you don't mind that I posted these pictures. It was just such an amazing experience, I had to share it!

2 comments:

Heather said...

So, this isn't even my husband or anything and it made me cry!

Anonymous said...

What powerful pictures!

Jake's brother gets home from Iraq in a few months and we're really looking forward to seeing him again too.