Monday, April 21, 2008

104.4

We have a sick baby on our hands. She was perfectly fine and healthy for her one year check up on Thursday, but a few hours after we left the doctor her right eye got really watery and red. I figured it was just allergies but it wasn't any better by Friday afternoon. We went to the doctor's office again, the nurse took a quick look at her eye and called in a Rx for some eye drops. Perfect ... but wait ... three hours later she felt really hot. I did the nasty hinney temp read and got 103.9. I immediately started Tylenol and Motrin. By Saturday morning it had come down to a tolerable 101. You could tell she wasn't exactly herself but pretty close. This continued all day Saturday and Sunday. Just after Tyler headed off to work Sunday night, she started getting fussy, and she is NOT a fussy baby. Nothing made her happy. I got worried and took her temp again and it was 104.4. I called Tyler, he came home, we called the 1-800 Nurse help line then decided to head to the ER. I began changing her out of her vomit stained clothes when, her entire body started shaking with chills. (With a family history of seizures at high fevers, I got really scared). I finished dressing her and the shaking stopped so we bundled her up and headed to the ER.
Her temperature was still 104.4 when they finally called us to the back, so they gave her a Tylenol suppository and sent us back to the waiting room. THREE HOURS later, she was diagnosed with an ear infection and we were sent home with a Rx for Amoxicillin. We didn't get home until 2am (she still hadn't slept a wink). She finally fell sleep around 3, but she was back up at 6 this morning. We aren't out of the woods yet, but she is getting there.

3 comments:

Tara said...

I wonder if it's because she just got shots, Reese had a high fever after her 12 mo shots.

Jackie said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry (for all of you). No fun.
Hey I don't know if I'll be able to make the extra trip to see you - I have my mother in law's car to drive back and she is anxious to get it back. I don't know. You can email me at thekitchenpost(at)gmail(dot)com
Good luck with the babe :)

The Welch's said...

that's exactly how it was when we went in for Reese's two month checkup I was going on about she hadn't been sick yet (which was a miracle because at that time everyone was sick)... I swear like the next day me and her both had the flu!!! oh by the way I keep forgetting to give you my email address. -- don't make fun of it I've had it since jr. high. spidergirl_4@hotmail.com - it's a pain to make a new one and tell everyone so i just have the same nerdy one...