Friday, December 19, 2008

A thought . . .

I have been meaning to blog about this and share it with you, but just haven't had the time to actually sit down and type it out.
Unconditional LOVE - this is a hard thing for me. I admit - I'm pretty judgemental. First impressions stick with me and I form opinions and assume things way too soon about people. A few weeks ago, I was slowing down for a red light and noticed a homeless man with a sign "will work for food" near the light. I immediately reached for the lock button but feared I was too close to him already and he would hear the clicking of the locks. Not wanting to be rude, I didn't push the button (but kept my finger in place, ready for action). When we came to a complete stop he was right outside our window. I was feeling very nervous and scared. I kept looking at him out of the corner of my eye. If he even budged - I was locking the doors!! And right in the middle of my mental dilemma between being rude and safety, Annagrace looked out the window, saw the man, grinned from ear to ear, waved with excitement and said "HEY!" It stopped me dead in my tracks. Who was I to judge this man, he had done nothing to make me frightened of him. I assumed because of his dirty appearance that he would try to harm us.
The moment brought me to tears.
I rolled down the window and handed the man all of the cash in my wallet.
Annagrace didn't care what he looked like, where he came from, why he was there. He was just . . . there and she was happy to see him.

No comments: