Thursday, October 30, 2008

While I was at work ...

A patient's family member came to the desk and asked "Have yall seen that fire." Everyone's heads jerked around to see the woman and asked at the same time "What fire?" We all feared there was a fire in the hospital. But, when she pointed at the window we were all a little confused. We all ran to the break room to look out our big windows and saw flames ABOVE the tree tops. I called 911, we all thought the fire was on the interstate, a block away from the hospital. They were so big, they had to be close. But, the 911 operator said it was the River Mill on 1st Avenue. The building was over a mile away and across the river. The ICU secretary and I took a break and left to go take some pictures. I couldn't believe the magnitude of this fire.
While standing of the river bank, staring at this beast, I couldn't help but feel sad. This Mill has been in Columbus since 1899. It was built, brick by brick - by hand. All of that work, all of that time, all of that history .... gone in one night.

3 comments:

The Powells said...

That makes me so sad that it burned down. Steve and I loved that building and took tons of pictures of it from the across the river (probably from where your pictures were taken!) Sad.

Lehmann Adventures...... said...

wait isnt that the one they were working on turning into apartments and offices? wow, I cant believe its gone! I loved those old buildings. How sad.

Jen said...

You capatured beautiful pictures of the event. I am sad for the history to be gone for you. I love historical things like that. The pictures look this a scence froma movie.