Tuesday, June 10, 2008

!!WARNING!! Not about Annagrace!!

So ... I'm home ... alone ... and thinking ... about friends. Why is it so hard to find a GOOD friend?? It's pretty easy to find others with common interests that you get together with and enjoy each other's company. But, I'm talking about the spill your guts, can't get enough of, LIFE-long, love-ya-like a sister friend. I currently have ONE. Yes I said ONE. I guess I should be grateful for her and her 23 years of devoted friendship (I hit a gold mine with her, really!!) But, the reality is, she lives over 400 miles away, soon to be 928 miles away (yes I google mapped it as soon as she told me), and isn't here to do the normal everyday lunches, shopping, late night movie, and cookie dough filled conversations that we enjoyed in our teens. But, the funny thing is, we actually don't have much in common. Yep, the more I think about it, we are complete polar opposites yet we never run out of things to talk about, laugh about, cry about, and love each other for. She just gets me!
Well, I may need to back track a little here. I said one friend, but since the birth of my child, the friendship between my Mom and I has grown greater than I could have ever imagined. We have always been close, but to know and to see another person (besides my husband) love my child as much as I do is an awesome experience. She feels the same joy in each little accomplishment and new thing Annagrace does. And we have a lot of fun together. We go to lunch A LOT, and shop A LOT and talk the whole time! I find myself calling her at least twice a day. But, I'm getting a little off subject here - I love my Mom to death and she is truly a best friend.
But I still feel like I'm missing something, something I think only another young Mom could offer. Someone who is going through the same day-to-day actions and thoughts as me. Someone who is as excited to talk to me as I am to them on a daily basis (or semi-daily). Someone to go to lunch with, have a playdate with, and shop with. I thought I had found one (minus the mama part) and we were full steam ahead buddies, even the hubbies got along. But, then abruptly, without warning, without reason - it ended. The only answer as to why that I got was "we don't have much in common and there are things I don't agree with." What?? What does that mean - what do I do that she doesn't agree with. Okay, I don't mean to sound self righteous - but I'm an active, faithful, LDS woman. And she .... well she .... doesn't have the same convictions (and neither does her circle of friends.) So, all in all, I guess it was for the best. A true friend embraces and celebrates your differences - not dismiss you for them.
So, there it is - my heart on my sleeve. I need a FRIEND! If you are another lonely Mama seeking fellow Mama companionship - I am an open-minded, strong LDS mother who loves scrap booking, photography, decorating, TV (I know I should say reading - but I'm trying to be completely honest here), shopping, and playing with my babe - Please reply by commenting.

5 comments:

The Powells said...

Hey! I have a new friend for you! Her name is Jenni Bobo and she JUST moved into your ward. She has a little girl around Annagraces age!!!! We sorta knew them from BYU (Steve knew him pretty well, I'd met them once or twice).Seriously snatch her up as a friend while she's new - it worked when you did that with Heather and I... DO IT AGAIN. I think you'll like her. You can always check her blog out from my blog...ANYWHO. There you go. You're welcome... I found a replacement for me. :) just kidding, i know that no one can replace me :)
But...there are NO pools on any European posts. For some reason it's a SOFA issue (international agreement law) and we can't have em. So... I'm left to nada.

Anonymous said...

Candi,

I totally know what you mean. My BF (of 18 years) lives in Utah and I have nobody to speak of here. I'm not even very close with my mom... It's a very lonely life sometimes to be a SAHM. We all adore our kids, but having someone to talk to sometimes is nice.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

Lehmann Adventures...... said...

my dear Candi, I truly feel your pain. We may not be close, I may not have children but you are still my friend and I do consider you a sister even though we may be (estranged! LOL) I will be home the first week in August and though Adam and I will only be there for a few short weeks before we move I would love to go shopping, to a movie and hang out with another woman of my faith and it doesnt hurt that she has an adorable sweet loving daughter who I love to hold and play with every chance I get.
Did I ever metion that the secret santa last year was Adam and I? I am so lonely here in AL. I have no one here to do anything with. You are not alone.

Jackie said...

I would totally be all over this offer if it weren't for the fact that we live so far away. I wish I could hang out with you! But I know how you feel, I crave adult interaction too. Hope you find someone out there!

The Bobos said...

Jenn Powell was right! I'll be your friend! I just moved to Ft. Benning but I am not in your ward, sadly. I'm in the Flat Rock Ward. But I still would love to meet you! My email address is jennibobo@gmail.com. If you email me, I'll send you my phone number and we can get together!