Sunday, June 1, 2008

All fired up about being "Molly"

Okay, let me start by saying I like to cook ... occasionally. When I'm in the mood, I can whip up a pretty fierce meal. And as stated previously I'm not the out-doorsie gardening type. But, for the life of me, I CAN-NOT-WAIT until Mom (in-law) gets here so we can go to several "Pick-your-own" farms, buy up as much produce as I can afford, then come home and CAN it!! I'm so excited to learn how to can. I've been researching nearby farms for variety and their additional activities such as farm animals (to entertain the babe). Regina (Aunt Gina to some of my readers) generously loaned me her canning tools so all I need are the jars!
It all started when I picked up a local festivities brochure that featured a "pick-your-own" peach trail down I-75. I thought it would be a nice activity for our Idaho family members to go pick some Georgia peaches. But, then what do we do with all of the peaches??? I guess we should can them. The more I research farms the more and more excited I get and the more items I want to can. I'm planning on doing peaches, tomatoes, strawberries/jam, apples/applesauce, peas or green beans, and squash. Some will be frozen instead of canned and I want to do some cobblers and other premade desserts to have in the freezer as well. I think that'll keep us busy!
Here is an awesome website that lists "pick-your-own" farms by counties: http://www.pickyourown.org/index.htm

2 comments:

The Powells said...

I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to learn how to can... couldn't you have done this last year when I was there? UGH. Perhaps someday, someone who knows will teach me...

Jackie said...

We have a upick place that we go to but they are mostly a berry farm. Their blueberries are grape size and we end up eating more straight up than anything else. But, oh, am I envious of your peaches! Home canned peaches are by far better tasting than store bought.
Good luck with the canning! One tip that I learned fairly recently is that you can use your dishwasher to sterilize the jars, just run through and ladle in the hot prepared contents when you pull the jars out straight from the washer. You have to do the lids on the stove still but you lid them up tight and set the filled jars on the counter and your done! My problem is I don't have a dishwasher...