Monday, May 5, 2008

table food nightmare

I know, it's been a while since I last posted. But, I've been busy fighting, yes I said fighting, with my daughter. I've been trying to get Annagrace on the road to no bottle by 15 months and only table food by 18 months. (Instructions from the doctor.) The bottle thing is okay, we are down to two a day. But, the table food thing is about to kill me. I have to hold her down and force the spoon into her mouth for the first bite. She decides that it tastes good and will open her mouth for a couple of bites, but then changes her mind and we start the whole process over again.
Well, today I had had enough. We went back to baby food and she happily opened her mouth for every bite of THREE jars of food. We even laughed and had fun. So, we are back to baby food and if she shows an interest and wants what I'm eating, I will gladly give her some. But, until then we will stick to baby food. I did at least go up a stage, we went to Walmart and bought a lot of stage 3 foods. We will start on those tomorrow.


Am I being lazy? A detriment to my baby? Or just intuitive? She has crawled on her own time, walked on her own time, and I think she will move to only table food on her own time. I've come to realize that I can't FORCE my baby to do anything. She IS Tyler's daughter after all!

Here, she is happily eating buttered toast ... not the healthiest, but it's TABLE FOOD!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doctors don't know your child as well as you do, so go with your gut! I think you're doing a great job, and your beautiful daughter is proof of that. :D

The Powells said...

Hey - Tyson is STILL eating baby foods. Stage 2. You can't argue with the kid if that is the ONLY thing he'll eat. He eats table food too, but most of the time he won't eat what we've made (and he's NOT having chicken nuggets for every meal!) so we go back to the baby food. I can't think of anything else to do. At least they're supposed to be healthy right?

Jackie said...

Will she eat table food that is pureed so it is like baby food? I don't know what to tell ya - Aedan hated baby food and loved table food earlier than he could really handle it so I had to blend a lot of his food. I think it helped him transition to straight-up table food a little better. But those Welch genes are hard to get past! :)

Sigi said...

I don't know a baby that doesn't like mashed potatoes, its a good binder. Some babies have a hard time getting used to the more flavorable table food, remember baby food is bland to a certain degree. Good luck and keep trying.

Sigi

Holly Lind said...

SHe will be just fine eating baby food. I was sick of baby food at about 11 months, so she started eating all the great kid snacks (mostly goldfish). Just keep trying new things and try giving her a spoon. Mya loves to make a mess with her yogurt, just be ready to put her in the bath afterwards!! Have FUN!!